I’ve heard Oprah make statements around her current weight loss program like, “I can eat anything and still lose weight”. NEWSFLASH!! Pretty much everyone can do that; eat anything and still lose weight. You can start any diet, count your calories or Points, measure your food, or stop eating a certain food group… and if you stick with that program (with the predetermined portion restrictions) long enough, you’ll likely lose weight.
But, that leads me to two questions:
- What happens when you stop counting?
- Just because you “can” eat anything and still lose weight, should you?
The reason I ask number 2 (I say number 2, since I think we all know the answer to number 1) is because eating anything doesn’t bring you to having a healthy body. Does it?
Let’s think of it this way; you can text and drive and you may not get in a car accident… you may end up just fine.
But, do you want to take that chance?
Do You Want To Play Roulette With Your Health?
Many people do just that, they risk their health by eating processed, unnatural foods. Instead of risking death or disability due to a car accident they might get into with texting and driving, they taunt the risk of diabetes, heart disease and cancer. The rates of these ailments are staggering, and they grow exponentially each week. The thing is, many of these instances are preventable with a healthy, whole food lifestyle.
Being healthy should be the priority, not just losing weight for the short term. Plan for your long-term health and you WILL lose weight.
Let’s face it, good health is something we take for granted – until we start to lose it. When our health takes a turn for the worse, we quickly begin to question our habits and diet.
We must remember that God designed the human body to be a finely tuned instrument and the most resilient on earth, but it was not designed to operate on inefficient and damaging fuel that processed foods provide.
The Owner’s Manual To Your Body
God has provided an owners manual that tells us how to operate the human body. The manual is the Bible, a book that contains instructions for proper maintenance.
Let’s look a little closer to what God says about this subject.
“My son, do not forget my teaching, but keep my commands in your heart, for they will prolong your life many years and bring you prosperity…This will bring health to your body and nourishment to your bones” Proverbs 3:1-2,8
God has provided all the whole foods on this earth to nourish our bodies (vegetables, fruit, nuts, seeds, grains, healthy fats and proteins), he did not provide Doritos and the thousands of types of processed foods we now consume.
Don’t get me wrong here, I’ve said this many times before… I don’t eat perfectly. It’s difficult to be so restrictive in a world of many foods, so, I too enjoy foods that God may not have created. However, I eat them in moderation. I live a 90/10 lifestyle when it comes to food. This means that 90% of the time I’m eating foods as God intended, and the other 10% gives me the freedom to pop a cookie in my mouth once in a while, and not feel guilty about it.
The danger comes when our lifestyle is more like 10/90, even 40/60. For many that are “texting and driving” with their health, most of the food they consume is coming from a fast food restaurant, a box of cereal or some prepackaged meal that has little to no nutritional value.
Processed vs. Whole
It’s pretty simple, really. If you want to eat AND feel full and satisfied, eat real food. If you want to be hungry all the time and looking for more, eat processed foods.
Processed foods simply do not have the nutritional content needed to give your body what it needs, so it’s always looking for more. That’s often why people feel hungry after consuming a bag of potato chips, you can’t stop eating them because they just don’t satisfy you.
I challenge you to try to eat the same volume in carrots or apples…. You won’t be able to because you will fill up so quickly that you will feel stuffed.
The earth was created to produce foods that are full of the very vitamins and minerals that the body needs to survive and thrive!
So I ask you, why would you take that chance and eat anything, anytime you want?
Wouldn’t you rather not “text and drive” with your health than take the risk that might change your life forever?
In health & faith,
Christina Grenga is a faith-based Certified Holistic Health Educator who works with Modern Christian women who are ready to quit dieting for good, lose weight naturally, and transform their life. Christina graduated from the world-renowned Institute for Integrative Nutrition in New York City, and is a Certified International Health Coach. She uses a Christ centered approach to guide women to create a balanced, thriving life.