Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, right? Today, I am super excited to share my recipe for Sweet Potato Hash. And to go with the sweet potato hash? Some good ol’ eggs, sunny side up!
Sweet Potato Hash With Sunny Side Up Eggs
So let’s run down the ingredients we will need before we get started:
- Turkey bacon– this is a great alternative for those who are wanting to eat a lower fat diet. You still get the same amount of protein without the fat.
- Yellow onion- onions are a super-healthy vegetable that contain huge amounts of quercetin. Fun fact about quercetin- it can possibly help you with your allergies! For more on quercetin, check out this article from Dr. Axe.
- Sweet potato- Sweet potatoes are a great source of Vitamin C- which can be helpful in warding off flus and colds. They are also high in Vitamin D which helps build healthy bones.
- Sea salt- Sea salt is high in trace minerals (iron, selenium, zinc, iodine, magnesium and copper). Most of us aren’t getting enough magnesium and it can seriously affect our health.
- Coconut oil- If you aren’t using coconut oil, go buy some now! Not only does it have countless uses in your home but you can also cook with it. Using coconut oil can replace some of the unhealthy fats typically found in most vegetable oils.
- Ground pepper- Pepper can also help you fight colds but did you know it can also aid in cancer prevention. For more on the benefits of pepper, check out this slideshow here.
- Cilantro- Cilantro contains high amounts of antioxidants. Antioxidants protect your body from harmful free radicals (which can cause disease).
- Eggs- This breakfast staple is a great way to start your day because it contains protein. Along with protein, you can also get vitamins and trace minerals which help keep you feeling good.
Now that you know a little more about what we are putting in this yummy dish- let’s make it!
- 2 1-oz all-natural turkey bacon (no added nitrites or nitrates) chopped
- ⅓ cup yellow onion chopped
- 1 sweet potato peeled and shredded
- pinch sea salt
- coconut oil
- pinch ground pepper
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 large eggs
- Melt the coconut oil in a medium sized skillet over medium heat. Skillet, add bacon and onion and sauté for 4 minutes, until onion is translucent. Add potato, salt and pepper and sauté, about 7 to 8 minutes, until potato is cooked through. Stir in cilantro; divide between 2 plates.
- Reduce heat to medium and add a little more coconut oil. Crack eggs onto separate sides of skillet and cook until set (or flip over for over easy eggs). Place 1 egg over each serving of hash. Sprinkle egg with additional pepper, to taste.